Wester Ross hits the "Big 5"
05 December 2012
During 2013, the Wester Ross area will be giving visitors a taste of the "Big 5" - 5 BIG reasons why you really have to come to Wester Ross!
Throughout the whole year, the energies of local groups will be focused on five of the major attractions in the area - what they are, what's special about them, and what you can see in and around their locations. So what are we talking about?
(1) Attadale Gardens, in the Lochcarron area.
(2) The world famous road to Applecross - the "bealach", with its hairpin bends and steep 2000ft + ascent, giving unparalleled views across towards Skye and the Hebrides.
(3) The mountainous areas between Torridon and the Beinn Eighe National Nature Reserve - the first NNR in the UK, with some of the rarest species of insects and wildlife in the region.
(4) Inverewe Gardens, a lush sub tropical garden set at the same latitude as Moscow!
(5) Corrieshalloch Gorge. A breathaking example of a "box canyon" where a fast flowing river suddenly drops nearly 200ft straight down into a steep gorge. Nearby, recover your breath in Lael Forest, or visit the fishing port of Ullapool.
The groups involved in this are headed up by "Visit Wester Ross - The Celtic Fringe", and include business associations in the Lochcarron and Gairloch areas, with support from private business and community groups throughout the area. The website at Visit Wester Ross is being redevloped and redesigned to showcase the Big 5 attractions, and will be live during (very) early 2013. Watch for details!